-
March 1st, 2007, 05:06 PM
#1
Inactive Member
What's the absolute optimum cabinet to build for the 416-8C woofer?
-
March 1st, 2007, 05:39 PM
#2
Senior Hostboard Member
Greets!
Need to define 'Optimum' since it's both application and personal interpretation dependent. I mean to me, the theoretical optimum would be a <4 Hz Fc BLH which would be so large it would need to terminate into a large theater sized volume with a long dim >180 ft.
GM
-
March 1st, 2007, 05:40 PM
#3
Inactive Member
What is your end use? Studio monitor/PA/HT/Musical Instrument/stereo?Do you want a front horn cabinet? Ported?Will you be using a subwoofer? Will you be flying them?
Will you be moving it? What are your criteria.
What is your floor space/Room size?
Here are some Altec plans
http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/...enc-manual.htm
Or as Todd suggested you could just buy Model 19 cabinets from Great Plains Audio.
Not to be difficult, but it is suiting your needs that make a great cabinet. The 210 is probably the "best" Altec Cabinet but is too large for most applications.
Best
Harry
-
March 1st, 2007, 06:03 PM
#4
Inactive Member
I will be using them for home audio only. Garage for now, but in house if I get them sounding real good. I have an Altec A7 cabinet now with 511B horns on top with 902-8T drivers and N1285-8A crossovers. I read there are better cabinets than the A7 for home use with the 416-8C. GPA has some front ported 9 cubic feet cabinets for their 604. I was wondering if there is cabinet plains like that for the 416-8C. I don't care how big the cabinet has to be. 9 cubic feet is no problem. I have a set of Klipschorns. Big speakers is my thing. I'm no expert cabinet builder. The cabinets will look OK, but will be solid. Thank you for any help.
-
March 1st, 2007, 06:49 PM
#5
Senior Hostboard Member
Yes there is. Called Altec Magnificent.

...................................
-
March 1st, 2007, 07:46 PM
#6
Inactive Member
Where do I get the cabinet plains for the Altec Magnificent?
-
March 1st, 2007, 08:08 PM
#7
Senior Hostboard Member
Greets!
Flop your A7s upside down, install the horn in the vent, wrap it up in your fave $hardwood$ and when all is said and done it will sound like a slightly muffled A7 (not that this is necessarily a bad thing): http://www.wardsweb.org/audio/voiceofthetheater.html
GM
-
March 1st, 2007, 10:24 PM
#8
Senior Hostboard Member
For original plans Bill at Great Plains Audio
would be able to help.
The Cabinet is 44 inches tall.That's all the info that I have.
................................
-
March 2nd, 2007, 06:03 AM
#9
Senior Hostboard Member
BoxPlot says 5 cubic feet with a 6" round, 6" long ducted port.
30.5" high, 13" deep, 21" wide, internal dimensions.
This gives the flattest response. -3dB @ 45hz
If you want it to go lower.....make the box bigger, and tune the port accordingly. However it won't be as flat.
Example....9 cubic feet, 2 x 6" round ports, 9" long each. -3dB @ 35hx, but the response begins rolling at 200hz.
Go find Boxplot Shareware on line, it's free.
I have had good luck with this modeling program.
-
March 2nd, 2007, 06:47 PM
#10
Senior Hostboard Member
That Magnificent is gonna have the same limited low bass and shelved response of any other 825-928 type cabinet. Now if you like the upper bass and lower midrange characteristics of such a cabinet and don't mind the lousy low bass fine. But if you want deep, well balanced sound a vented cabinet would probably be the way to go.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.
Bookmarks